A unipolar 5V stepper motor such as the 28BYJ-48 spins by translating the electrical signals it receives into mechanical revolution. It comprises 4 stationary +5V coils. The stator, which consists of these coils, forms a ring around the rotor. Since it contains a 1/64 reduction gear set, it rotates precisely in 512 steps. Compared to conventional DC motors and servo motors, these motors are quiet.
28BYJ-48 5V Stepper Motor Pin Configuration
Five wires are visible extending from the motor in the diagram below. Red wire among them is used to supply voltage. It is wired to the +5V power supply. Four static coils are made up of the final four wires. A wiring diagram for a 28BYJ-48 5V stepper motor is shown in the image.
Stepper Motor Features
- The details of the S8BYJ-48 stepper motor are as follows:
- It is a 5 pin unipolar coil with a 5V rated DC voltage.
- With a stride angle of 5.625°/64, it features 4 stages.
- This stepper motor’s insulated power is 600VAC/1mA/1s, and its frequency is 100Hz.
- This stepper motor should be driven using the half-step technique.
- A stepper motor’s pull-in-torque value is 300 gf.cm.
Where to use the 28BYJ-48 Stepper Motor pinout?
The stepper motor offers more increments per rotation and is silent. As a result, you can utilize this motor to operate security cameras and display turntables. You can use this stepper motor to track objects due to its ability to provide positional control. Use this stepper motor if you require control over both rotation and position. This motor can be used for precise positioning in 3D printers. Any microcontroller, like an Arduino, can easily control it.
How to use Stepper Motor with Arduino?
Four coils in this motor are energized sequentially. Due to the stepper motor’s high current consumption, a driver IC as well as an Arduino or microcontroller are needed. The ULN2003 breakout board can easily drive a stepper motor by turning on a microcontroller since it has higher current and voltage than a single transistor. The links are straightforward. Connect the four stepper motor coils to the output pins of the driver IC, and then apply positive voltage to the stepper motor’s red wire.
Interfacing with Arduino
Connect the ULN2003A driver IC’s input pins to the digital Arduino pins. Although the half step method is advised for rotation of this stepper motor, the full step method is also an option. Coil 1 is powered first in the half-step procedure. Power should then be supplied simultaneously to coils 1 and 2. Power coil 2 next by doing so. The subsequent actions must be taken in the same order.
Switching Sequence Table
The table is given below for half step switching sequence.
In the case of a full step method, 2 coils are provided with power at each step. The coils should be powered in a logical sequence mentioned in the table. This sequence can be programmed using any microcontroller. You can use this motor in designing projects using raspberry pi and Arduino etc.
28BYJ-48 5V Stepper Motor Applications
- They are used in cameras for providing precise control and positioning.
- The 28BYJ-48 stepper motor provides excellent control of speed during rotation. That’s why it is used in robotics projects and applications related to automation.
- The tilting of car side mirrors can be controlled using these motors
The two-dimensional diagram showing all the dimensions of this stepper motor is given below.