In this tutorial, we’ll learn what the Keil IDE is and how to use it. What are its best attributes and why is it used?
Introduction to keil uVision
A single robust environment termed keil Uvision IDE provides a real-time environment, code generating capability, source code editing, and code debugging. It is an easy-to-use IDE that is designed to speed up embedded software development. Using keil Vision, you may design distinct window layouts anywhere on the visual surface, and it can even handle numerous displays.
How to download keil uVision
- Keil download source: https://www.keil.com
- From the list given on the top of this web page select download
- The product downloads will provide you the setup of the keil ide, and the file downloads will offer you some of the sample codes that are built and executed on keil, as is evident from the description given beneath the name of each category.
- We here need to download the IDE first and install it afterwards so that we can implement our coding portion using this IDE.
- Because we want to get an IDE for the TIVA TM4C123G, which is a Cortex and ARM device, we’ll need to obtain MDK-ARM, which is a developing environment for Cortex and ARM devices.
- This will open a window requesting you to fill out a form with your personal information for the sole purpose of keeping corporate records.
- Fill out the form and press submit this will show you a page showing the features and the setup file for MDK-arm
- The mdk526.exe file shown in the figure above shows the setup file for the Keil u vision version 5.26 which is the latest version of Keil so far.
- Click on the .EXE file at the bottom of the page
- After you click on the file your PC will ask you where to save the setup (.exe) file. Select the folder of designation where you want to save the file and hit enter
- The setup file is approximately 900MB in size, therefore it will take some time to download to your PC from an online source. Before continuing, wait for the download to complete.
- The downloaded folder will be placed in the folder you chose during the installation time after the download is complete.
How to install keil uVision
- The downloaded folder will already contain all the drivers needed to run the code and it also includes a pdf file that is the datasheet of the microcontroller TM4C123G
- This data sheet also includes all of the addresses for each pin on the microcontroller, as well as information about the microcontroller on board pins, libraries, and alternate functionalities.
- Now open the folder included within the downloaded folder; it contains the setup file that must be installed.
- Because the external folder only contained the drivers and datasheet inclusion folder, while the main mdk file is contained within the second nested folder, the names of both directories will be the same. The files displayed in the figure below are located within the nested folder.
- This folder contains all of the necessary drivers and libraries for running simple code in the Keil IDE. These folders are required for the successful installation of Keil, and the version you downloaded will automatically install all required drivers; all you have to do now is keep them all in the same folder.
- When you double-click this file, the setup will begin automatically installing the IDE’s required files. To make the necessary adjustments to your PC, the installer will first ask for administrative permission.
- In the welcome screen, which solely displays the features of the Keil version that will be installed, as well as the items that will be downloaded automatically as part of the setup.
- We don’t have to do anything else here except click next. The following screen will show after you click the next button on the configuration window.
- On the license agreement page, you agree to the terms and conditions required by the company to agree to in order to use any version of any of the products launched by that company.
- Check the highlighted arrow box and click next to proceed with the installation part.
- The following window will ask you to select the folder where you want to install the Keil files, drivers, and libraries. Browse the designated folder where you want to place the libraries by clicking on the browse key and then click Next.
- The setup box will prompt you to provide some important information, such as the personal information of the customer who will be using the designated product in the future.
- It has nothing to do with installation and is solely for the companies’ records to keep track of how many individuals are utilizing their newly released product and what companies or organizations they are currently using it for.
- Simply type in the first and last name of the (PC owner, if applicable) or the customer who will be using the IDE. Enter the name of the organization or institution where you are now employed, followed by your email address, and then click Next.
- The setup will download all of the essential files automatically, so all you have to do now is wait for the installation to finish. After you’ve collected all of the drivers, the installer will ask for your permission to install them.
- After the installation is complete the setup window will ask you to finish the installation successfully
- The setup will open the browser and show you the newest version of the Microcontroller Development Kit notes after you finish the installation with the release note check box selected (mdk)